- Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM)
- W520 Drivers and Software
- Worldwide_datasheet ThinkPad W520 notebooks - 1 Feb 2011 (PDF 2450382 Bytes)
- ThinkPad Fan Control Daemon
- Installation of Fedora 14 on a ThinkPad W520
- Installation of Fedora 15 on a ThinkPad W520
- Installation of Debian Squeeze on a ThinkPad W520
- Installation of Debian Wheezy on a ThinkPad W520
- Installation of Slackware 13.37 on a ThinkPad W520 updated 7/21/2011
- Installation of OpenSuse11.4 on a ThinkPad W520
- Installation of Ubuntu 11.04 on a ThinkPad W520
The W520 comes with a special 170W AC adapter (P/N 0A36227) that is currently not shipped with any other Thinkpad. Note that it is different from the W700 170W AC adapter (P/N 41R4421). The W520 AC adapter is larger but lighter than the W510 135W AC adapter. (Maybe not always? In a comparison of a 135W adapter that came with a W510 and a 170W adapter that came with a W520, the 170W was not only larger but also about 100g heavier.)
The 170W adapter plug has two extra notches that makes it physically impossible to use the 170W adapter with older equipment such as the W510 and some docking stations, although older chargers are physically forward compatible (while they may not provide enough power) with ports that support the 170W adapter.
Most newer (20V) Thinkpad AC adapters have a compatible plug with the W520, but not all of them will work due to power constraints. The following table shows which AC adapters can be used to run the W520:
|Marketing P/N||Rated power||Works on W520||Charge while off||Comment|
|0A36227||170W||yes||yes||Official AC adapter for W520|
|41R4421||170W||no||no||Official AC adapter for W700, different plug diameter|
|55Y9317||135W||yes||yes||Official AC adapter for W510.|
|Various||90W||no||yes||Battery continues to drain, does not work|
|Various||65W||no||yes||Battery continues to drain, does not work|
The 135W adapter is sufficient to run the W520 without throttling. The 65W and 90W adapters can only be used to charge the battery while the W520 is not running, that is, powered off, hibernated, or suspended.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "W520"
The following 66 pages are in this category, out of 66 total.