IrDA can be used to communicate using Infrared to other IrDA compliant devices, such as other Notebooks, PDAs and mobile phones.
All IBM ThinkPads manufactured in the last years have integrated IrDA that can be used in one of two modes, SIR or FIR.
Some very old ThinkPads only support SIR mode, or might not have IrDA support at all.
A newer VFIR standard exists, which supports speeds upto 16Mbps. However for the moment no ThinkPads support this.
- Linux-IrDA Project (External)
- Linux PCMCIA Project (External)
- tpctl homepage (External)
- Linux Infrared Remote Control (External)
ThinkPad Models featuring this Technology
IrDA 1.0 (SIR - 115Kbps)
- 365C, 365CD, 365CS, 365CSD, 365E, 365ED, 365X, 365XD
- 535, 535E
- 755CD, 755CDV, 755CE, 755CSE, 755CV, 755CX
- 760C, 760CD, 760E, 760ED, 760EL, 760ELD, 760L, 760LD, 760XD, 760XL
- 765D, 765L
IrDA 1.1 (FIR - 4Mbps)
- 240, 240X
- 380, 380D, 380E, 380ED, 380XD, 380Z
- 385D, 385ED, 385XD
- 390, 390E, 390X
- 560E, 560X, 560Z
- 570, 570E
- 600, 600E, 600X
- 770, 770E, 770ED, 770X, 770Z
- A20m, A20p, A21e, A21m, A21p, A22e, A22m, A22p, A30, A30p, A31, A31p, A275, A285, A475, A485
- i Series 1720, i Series 1721
- R30, R31, R32, R40, R50, R50p, R51, R52
- T14, Template:T14s, T15, T20, T21, T22, T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61, T61p, T400, T400s, T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T430, T430i, T430s, T430si, T430u, T431s, T440, T440s, T440p, T450, T450s, T460, T460s, T460p, T470, T470s, T470p, T480, T480s, T490, T490s, T495, T495s, T500, T510, T510i, T520, T520i, T530, T530i, T540p, T550, T560, T570, T580, T590
- X22, X23, X24, X30, X31, X32, X40, X41, X41 Tablet, X60, X60s
- Z60m, Z60t, Z61m